A Day in the Life of an Intern...or at Least How I Saw It!
By: Mary Friday, Former Rafters Marketing Intern
Most Rafters fans know me as one of the girls that did the all the between-inning promotions, but there was a lot more that went into being a Rafters Marketing Intern. Countless hours were spent before game time getting ready to put on the production of a Rafters game.
A normal day in “Rafterland” started when we all arrived to Witter Field around 9am (I say “around” because, let’s be honest, we were tired and sometimes is was more like 9:15 by the time we all got there). As we filed in, we were all sent off to begin our various game day tasks. For me, this usually meant gathering up my coffee, computer, and the dirty uniforms and heading for the laundry mat with Ms. Hilary Bauer. (As a side note, our players were great guys… but, man, did they STINK!)
While at the laundry mat, Hilary and I would get the laundry going and then sit down to work on that day’s game script. Game script, you ask? Great question. The game script is written for every game and contains all the advertisements, promotions, meal specials, ect., for each game. It also outlines the order of the game production (i.e. line ups, national anthem, first pitch, between inning promotions, and so forth) for the public address announcer.
When we finished at the laundry mat, usually around 11:30 or so, it was back to the field. After we put the laundry away, it was time to hike up to the press box for more script work. Now, there are a few really great things about the press box. One: It was the ONLY place at the park with air conditioning. Two: It has a GREAT view. And three: JW Cox. JW (or as we all call him, J Dub), is our radio broadcaster, and on game days the press box was his home. If you’re ever feeling stressed on a game day, I recommend taking the (what seems like a billion) steps up to the press box to say hi to J Dub. Without fail, he’ll make you smile.

(Rafters Staff at NWL All-Star Game in Eau Claire--- Back Row L-R:Greg Kennedy, Brian Reuter, Max Daven, John Fanta, Hilary Bauer, Mary Friday. Front Row: Liz Kern, JW Cox, Laura Shepard. Not pictured: Brody Busho.)
Back to the story. This part of the script writing usually took a while, probably because it was usually interrupted. There were a number of interruptions that included John calling to see if we’d come watch the ticket office while he and Max (ticketing intern) ran to lunch, us going to make our own lunch (usually a grilled chicken sandwich), or Liz misplaced her keys. Let me tell you a little about Liz and her keys. She has them on a carabiner so that she can literally hook them to herself, but she still manages to lose them. I’m not talking every once in a while—NO!--she lost them multiple times a day. It’s almost unbelievable, yet hilarious, the places she loses those things. For example, it is not uncommon to find them sitting on a random picnic table or still in a lock somewhere. I could go on, but, I digress…
Once the script was finished, it was time to go help with other random tasks. This could mean helping Brody (official statistician/operations intern) and Greg (field maintenance intern) do whatever random thing they happened to be doing at the time or helping get ready for pre-game picnics. One thing I did a lot was portion potato salad and coleslaw. Not real glamorous, but there is never a dull moment when our Director of Operations, Mr. Brian Reuter, is around… funniest person I’ve ever met, seriously. My least favorite pre-game job had nothing to do with cleaning or heavy lifting. Not even close. It was cotton candy. That machine and I were NOT friends. I might even go as far as to say it was my nemesis. The cotton candy machine we had did not have a nifty little hood like most do, so little tiny pieces of it would fly EVERYWHERE! I would wear my sunglasses as eye protection and--had a thought of it before this very moment--I would have worn a ski mask to prevent from getting it caked on my face and hair. After fighting with that for what seemed like days, all we had were a few bags of cotton candy and an unhappy, sugar-coated, marketing intern. Everyone else found it rather humorous. Me? Not so much.
All this, and we’re still a few hours away from the “Big Show”. After a few more of those random tasks, it was time for the game day staff to start rolling in. This brought on a whole bunch of jobs, people, and laughs that I could go on and on about, but we’ll save that for another time…
A special thanks to Mary for taking the time to share her experiences! There is only one other thing to say before this week is finished and it will probably be the only non-baseball related statement ever posted on this blog.....GO PACKERS!
-John
We want more Mary Friday "A day in the life on an intern" blogs posted. Great work!
ReplyDelete